Thursday, June 24, 2010

Week 3: 1st grade



This week in recording my youth it's all about being six and in first grade! My 1st grade teacher was Mrs. McClellan and I loved her. I remember helping out other students. I remember playing soccer with all of the boys at recess. I remember always wanting to go to the library to get books to read. I remember studying for our spelling tests. She was a great teacher and when I was in 6th grade at the school, I went back to her classroom to help those first graders learn to read. It was even more fun because my little brother was in her class then!


Each week she would pick someone to be the Person of the Week. I was so excited when it was finally my turn to be the person of the week. We received a ribbon with our name on it and the date and got our picture taken in front of the bulletin board. I remember being so excited to get my picture taken that day because my desk was also in it! ha! :) I remember each week having our spelling words and I would always tape them to the top left of my desk. My pencil box would always have to be in the top right next to the crayons and my library books would be under that. Looking at my desk from this picture, I guess I was reading an Ernie book from Sesame Street!

When we were the special person of the week we also got to tell our teacher what our favorite things were. I love looking back at what was my favorite during that time! My dirt bike was my favorite toy growing up. I remember having freedom in the neighborhood to ride a couple of streets over to visit friends and go to the "common grounds" at the top of our street. Peanut butter and jelly is still one of my favorite things to eat. I remember having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chips, some sort of fruit, and a reese's peanut butter cup every.single.day for lunch! I don't ever remember my favorite color being silver, but I guess it was and I remember loving to jump rope. I finally learned how to do double dutch and I thought I was so cool! ha!

This was the year that I seriously fell in love with the St. Louis Cardinals. I wanted to be a baseball player for Halloween, probably Willie McGee. At our elementary school we got to dress up in our costumes and wear it in school all day. I loved it and we were able to see everyone else's costume as well. Love that hat! ha!


I was always writing and drawing growing up and this year my mom saved some letters I had written. Obviously Willie McGee was my favorite player growing up. I can't believe that she still had them!


Thanks for reading this week and don't forget to head on over to Mommy's Piggy Tales to read more stories. Next week is 2nd grade!

7 comments:

Dan and Amanda said...

I love the teal sweater with your name on the front!!! Ha!!!

Gretchen said...

You were such a cute tomboy! Kudos to your mom for saving that stuff. Fun to look back on. :)

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Aww! You were so cute! What a fun memory. I can't remember that much detail from the classroom - just smatterings here and there.

Visiting from Group 3!

Denise said...

You have some wonderful pictures! I LOVE the one of you and your desk!

MommaHarms said...

Love the tomboyishness!

Janna said...

My mom was a baseball fan from early on too! The smurf brings back memories as well.

We had similar haircuts! Ya know the half a head of bangs?:) I remember those sweaters with your name sewn on them too!

Janna said...

My mom was a baseball fan from early on too! The smurf brings back memories as well.

We had similar haircuts! Ya know the half a head of bangs?:) I remember those sweaters with your name sewn on them too!