Thursday, June 10, 2010

Week 1: Details of my birth/How I got my name...


I am participating in a 15 week online group about recording my youth. I think this is going to be fun walking down memory lane and recording my history. You can see other posts at Mommy's Piggy Tales.

This first week is to record the details of my birth and how I got my name. So...I talked to my mom and heard the story again. I love hearing this story because I think it is hilarious of some of the choices that my mom and dad made! You'll see what I mean...

My mom went into labor on May 20, 1979 while my dad was playing softball. He needed to stay until the end of the game because they didn't have enough players! I can't believe that my mom was okay with that, but can totally see my dad saying that too and wanting to finish the game. :) I asked them if they were nervous at all, and they said not really because they didn't really know what to expect and they were worried about finishing the game! :) Ahh...a typical sports family!

After the game was over (which they won), they went home so my mom could take a bath and shave her legs. They also stopped by Steak n Shake because my dad was hungry from playing in the game. They finally got to the hospital around midnight, and I wasn't born until 3:00 pm the next afternoon. (Part of the reason they wanted to wait to go until after midnight, was they weren't sure their insurance would pay for multiple days). My mom said it was a LONG labor. I ended up getting caught underneath my mom's pelvis and after the doctor's realized that I wasn't coming and was stuck, they had to do a c-section to get me out. I was born at 3:10 pm on May 21st 1979 at 5 lbs 9 oz.

For my name- The poem Casey at the Bat came to my parent's mind. I wonder why?! ;) They then spent awhile trying to figure out how they wanted to spell it and then a good middle name to go with it. They came up with Kasey Michelle and my mom said the name was perfect and beautiful, just like me!


7 comments:

MommaHarms said...

I love the family picture at the end. Those are funny stories. Are you the eldest or an only child? I can't imagine a second-time parent waiting that long ;)

Denise said...

LOL, I think it is hilarious that your father was more worried about finishing his game than about his wife being in labor.

The family picture at the end is priceless!

K.M.L said...

I am the eldest. My sister is 2 years younger and my brother is 5 years younger than me. :)

Pepper said...

That is a great story, I was thinking the opposite of MommaHarms. First time parents think that having a baby is so fast they are right at the hospital asap. Second time around they realize you have some time.

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I met the hubs playing softball and we actually still play together, so I can totally imagine trying to decide between finishing the game and going to the hospital!! Thanks for a great post! amber :)

Janna said...

OH this is funny! Wouldn't want to interrupt the softball game:) I'm sure they learned children can interrupt many things once they are born. But what an adorable way to be interrupted.

Steak and Shake, Kasey, confusion in insurance, all details unique to your story that make it so fun and interesting~

Kristina said...

Hi Kasey!

I enjoyed your post a lot and I love that your name is inspired by Casey at the Bat! It cracks me up how so many times we (I am totally guilty of this) try to make birth fit our schedules...your parents finishing the game, shaving legs, eating at steak and shake.
Last year when my youngest was born my husband wanted to finish eating his July 4th meal. I found him an hour later trying to start a round of poker with his friends. I told him we were going to the hospital lol.

I also can appreciate how shaving her legs was a priority!

Thanks for such a great read!