Saturday, October 20, 2007

Oh Deer...

Last night Mike and I were coming back from getting a movie at Blockbuster. We were about 2 miles from our house and WHAM.....a deer hits the side of our car. More precisely, it hit the drivers side mirror. I think I screamed because we saw the face of the deer and even its tongue was hanging out. It was so not nice looking. If it had been a second earlier or later, I think the outcome would have been way different...it might have gone through our windshield and even through the drivers side window....thats how hard it hit us. The side mirror was hanging on by a thread. We immediately pulled over and Mike wasn't feeling right (he was driving). Mike called the police to get the deer removed because you could hear the thump of the cars running over it every 10 seconds and some were even pulling over to check out their cars. His right leg, left knee and back were hurting and I think I was just in shock. I couldn't believe we hit it or it hit us. The ambulance came and Mike rode in that to the hospital just to be on the safe side. I Our driver's side door doesn't open from the impact so I had to climb across and drive the car home, let Jack out, and then take our other car to the hospital. I get to the hospital and as Mike goes to get checked out (xrays and a cat scan), I start to realize that I am hurting too. I tell the nurse that I was in the car as well and I go get xrays. Because I've already had back surgery once, I knew that things weren't broken, but I just wanted to double check that any of the vertebrae's weren't out of place. My results were the L4, L5 (where I had surgery before), there is a little bit of space between them but they didn't know if that was from the surgery or the deer accident. Mike's results all came back okay too. We were really lucky that it wasn't worse. Our car is pretty banged up but at least we are okay. Enjoy your weekend....we're layin' low and staying in the house! :)
The car really doesn't look as bad in the pictures as it does in person, but it's definetely better than the blood trail and the dead deer on the side of the road. yuck.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh man! What a rotten start to your weekend! I'm glad everyone was ok. That blood trail... sick!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are both ok! Those darn deer can make quite a mess (of a car & on the road) Hope your weekend ends better!

Lina

Swartzie said...

Wow! I am so glad you guys are ok! I hate hitting animals with the car. I feel sorry for the people that hit it after you, that to me is even worse!

Sorry about the car. I just got done driving cross country toget to CA. And if that happened to me I would e an emotional WRECK!

Again, I am glad you are ok!