Monday, January 11, 2010

ancestry

Some of the things I've been working on lately is to try and find my ancestors. I've always been interested in this and since having Evan it's been on my mind more so than usual. My Uncle Mark recently sent some of these pictures to the family. I love finding out bits and pieces of information about my family and looking at pictures and imagining the story behind each one. I've been using ancestry.com and love it. You don't have to pay unless you want to and it keeps everything nice and tidy in the tree branches! I even found some death certificates online...It's amazing what you can learn about your family


Here are some of the things I've found out...

  • My great grandma (on my mom's side) was named Pearl Ivy Allen (Scott) and was married to William Edward Allen. He was a coal weigher and passed away from a railroad accident.

  • Pearl's dad was William Henry Scott and was a farmer who passed away from myocarditis at the age of 84. 

  • William's dad was Julius Max Scott who was born in 1838 and married Susan Henson in 1865. So...Julius Max Scott was Evan's Great Great Great Great Grandpa. wow!

Here are some pictures...


This is (from l to r): Charles Scott, William Henry Scott, Lionel "Ona" Scott, Nettie (Guthrie) Scott, and baby. It is Evan's great great great Grandpa and Grandma William and Jeanette "Nettie".



This is (from l to r):
William Henry Scott (much older than the previous pic), his siblings Julius Wiley Scott, Bertie (Scott) Chastain, and their father, Julius Max Scott. And wow...look at that beard!


This last picture is of Nettie and William Scott and their children. Nettie (Jeanette May) and William Henry are in the front row...he has the hat.
Back row: Naomi May, Cora Crystal, Pearl Ivy  (my great grandma), Jeanette Violet, and June Jewell.
Front row: Lionel Bruce "Ona", Victor Vivian, Charles Douglas, Nettie, William, Macky Edwin Ishmael, and Murray Richard

  • I love reading their first and middle names and wondering who they were as people....as family....It's so interesting trying to find the answers!

2 comments:

Laura said...

So did ancestry.com have the pictures? Too cool!

Rick said...

My name is Rick Greenwald. My mother was Jeanette Violet Scott. Pearl Iva Langley was my aunt. I am one of the Scott family historians. We have Scott Family Reunion every first Saturday in June at the Bennett Springs Church of God, http://bennettspringchurch.org/. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Rick