Thursday, June 21, 2007

10 years and getting older...

This is my Thursday thought...join in this discussion by clicking on comment and leaving a thought! * This Saturday will mark my 10 year high school reunion! Yep...good 'ol class of 1997! Where does the time go? I can't believe that I will be back seeing friendly faces on Sat. night. I am a little excited but also nervous! I mean...it has been 10 years since I have seen some of these people. At the time, I guess I thought high school was the best time of my life...I had friends, sports, family, I got good grades, no real worries, but I guess I never really thought I fit in. Yes, I had athletic friends/teammates, and those who were "popular" friends, and even friends whom no one really liked. I just had lots of different groups of people who I hung out with but those groups didn't really hang out together at the same time... I guess I am just worried that when I meet up with everyone on Saturday, they might (and I know some still do) hang out with the same people from high school (even though there is nothing wrong with that) and I will feel like an outsider/loser. What am I afraid of though???? That I am not "cool" enough? That I won't fit in? I know I have had a GREAT 10 years after high school: college in Miami playing division 1 soccer, traveling to the Cayman Islands, becoming independent, meeting new friends from other states/countries, meeting Mike and getting married within 6 months, teaching, having a great family and great friends, having 8 surgeries on my legs, back, and knee through the years. Who can complain about the life I've led? I guess high school takes us all back to that awkward time in our lives, trying to fit in but also trying to be an individual too. My Thursday thought is what did you think about your 10 year high school reunion (if you've had yours) or high school in general? Be honest....did you hate it? love it?

2 comments:

heather said...

I loved my reunion...
I almost didn't go, because I thought I didn't have much reason. I kept in touch with a small group of random friends from high school, and I knew for a fact that most of them weren't going. So I figured why bother?
But my curiosity won out and I couldn't resist seeing what other people looked like and what they were doing in life. I LOVED the part of the evening where we found out things like who had the most kids, who lived the farthest away, who had been married (and divorced) the most... I'm a sucker for the stuff like that. I also did catch up with a few people I probably never would have seen again and it was really nice. Like one girl I had been best friends with in 5th grade... we were never close through jr high and high school, but we had a chance to visit at the reunion and it turned out she lived down the street from me and we had little girls within two months of each other!!
It's so interesting that some people who you may have had so much in common with and so much fun with in high school, you now have nothing to talk about (except the good old days) and then there are people who you had nothing in common with back then and now, just because you have a graduating class in common, you meet up again and talk and now you may have quite a bit in common in your life...
It's funny.
Anyway, good times!!

Have fun at yours Kase!!

Ferris Family said...

I hated my reunion. Being on the planning committee didn't make it any better. The people that came were the same as they were in high school. I was "left out" from the minute most of them got off the elevator. That's only my experience, I heard all night how much fun everyone else was having. I hope you have a fantastic time!!!! You have done so much in the last 10 yrs, go, be proud of what you've already accomplished, and look forward to the future and all you have yet to accomplish.